Concussion Treatment Urgent Care Doctors
Have you ever had a concussion from a sports injury or any other injury to the head? Then Priority Urgent Care & Walk In Clinic can help! Our doctors specialize in head trauma and can treat you effectively. Contact us today or request an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you in Ellington CT, Unionville CT, East Haven CT, Cromwell CT, Oxford, CT and Newington, CT.
Table of Contents:
Concussions are a fairly common sports injury, but they can affect anyone. Any strong impact to the cranium can cause a concussion, whether you slipped on ice or got in an accident. A single concussion usually does not have too serious of implications. However, multiple concussions can lead to very serious complications.
Concussions can be difficult to diagnose. Although you may have a visible cut or bruise on your head, you can’t actually see a concussion. The signs and symptoms of a concussion are often subtle and may not show up immediately. Some symptoms can last for days, weeks, or even months.
Common symptoms after a concussion are headache, loss of memory (amnesia), and confusion. Amnesia typically involves forgetting the event that caused the concussion.
Physical symptoms and signs of a concussion may include:
• Ringing in the ears
• Fatigue or drowsiness
• Blurry vision
Other symptoms of a concussion are:
• Confusion or feeling “foggy”
• Amnesia surrounding the traumatic event
• Dizziness or “seeing stars”
No one is exempt from the possibility of a concussion; although athletes, children, senior citizens, and those with ‘high-risk’ jobs are much more likely to suffer head and brain injuries. No impact to the head should be taken lightly. The long-term effects of untreated, under-treated, or mistreated concussions can be wide-ranging. The impairment caused by post-concussion syndrome can manifest in many areas of life, including some areas you may not suspect. These are five areas of life where a person with untreated concussion symptoms may struggle long after the injury has occurred:
• Academics: Students who suffer from concussions often miss weeks or even months of classes and report trouble focusing on tasks and schoolwork.
• Relationships: Individuals who suffer from concussions often have difficulty reintegrating into their daily lives, which leads to dysfunction and emotional stress.
• Job performance: Impaired focus, attention, and coordination are significantly impacted by most head injuries. These problems can have a profoundly negative impact on job performance.
• Physical ability: Vertigo, balance issues, headaches, dizziness, and other pain syndromes, heart rate irregularities, digestive issues, and even seizures are just some of the physical problems experienced by those with one or more concussions.
• Mental health: Mental illness and behavioral disorders including ADHD, anxiety, depression, phobias, PTSD, and addiction are often the end result for many with untreated head injuries. Stress and emotional turmoil will very likely cause mental health challenges left untreated.
Headaches may be the most widely known manifestation of a concussion. The intensity and frequency vary with the severity of the concussion, but consistent headaches are a big red flag
Sensitivity to noise and light can also be impacted by a concussion. What was previously an acceptable sound or brightness is now painful or unbearable — usually happening immediately. Nausea or vomiting can be a common symptom when exposed to bright lights or loud sounds. Another indication is getting fatigued easily and having low energy. Dizziness, blurry vision, and balance problems, are additional signs that something may be wrong.
If you or someone you know is suffering from a concussion, or you believe they are, please contact our office today to get in touch with a specialist. We serve patients from Ellington CT, Unionville CT, East Haven CT, Cromwell CT, Oxford CT, Newington CT, East Windsor CT, Somers CT, Burlington CT, Canton CT, Branford CT, New Haven CT, Middletown CT, Rocky Hill CT Seymour CT, Middlebury CT, Hartford CT, Addison CT, and BEYOND!
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Urgent Care
▸ DOT Physicals
▸ Worker’s Injury Treatment
▸ Drug Testing
▸ Physical Exams
▸ School/Sports Physicals
▸ Sports Injury Treatment
▸ X-Ray Services
▸ Pediatric Urgent Care
▸ Poison Ivy
▸ STD Testing
▸ Immunizations & Vaccinations
▸ Lab Testing
▸ Pre-Employment Physical
▸ Employer Services